Part I: Introduction
1. Citation2. Practice Directions to apply to civil proceedings only unless otherwise stated2A. References to “High Court” to refer to the General Division of the High Court where applicable3. Citation of Legislation in Proceedings4. Calculation of time5. Updating6. Forms7. Business of the Registry
These Practice Directions may be cited as the State Courts Practice Directions 2014.
For avoidance of doubt, these Practice Directions shall apply only to civil proceedings commenced in the State Courts before 1 April 2022 unless otherwise stated.
In respect of cases, claims, actions and/or appeals which are contemplated or commenced on or after 2 January 2021 to which these Practice Directions apply, all references to the High Court shall, where appropriate, refer to the General Division of the High Court.
(1) Where legislation is cited in these Practice Directions, the citation shall, unless the context otherwise requires, be read to refer to the edition of that legislation currently in force.
(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1) above, references in these Practice Directions to the Rules of Court and to any Order or Rule thereof, shall be read to refer to the Rules of Court (Cap. 322, R 5, 2014 Rev Ed).
The provisions in the Rules of Court (Cap. 322, R 5) shall apply to the calculation of time in these Practice Directions. In particular:
(a) the following definition of “working day” in Order 1, Rule 4 of the Rules of Court is applicable in these Practice Directions:
“Working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday; and
(b) the provisions of Order 3 of the Rules of Court shall also apply to the calculation of time.
(1) Any addition or amendment to these Practice Directions will be notified on the Singapore Courts website at https://www.judiciary.gov.sg. The Practice Directions will be updated on the date the addition or amendment takes effect.
(2) The complete and updated Practice Directions can be downloaded from the Singapore Courts website at https://www.judiciary.gov.sg.
The Forms in Appendix A to these Practice Directions shall be used where applicable with such variations as the circumstances of the particular case require.
(1) Pursuant to Order 60, Rule 1(3) of the Rules of Court (Cap. 322, R 5), the business of the Registry is governed by the Rules of Court and these Practice Directions.
(2) For the avoidance of doubt, any instruction manuals which may be issued from time to time by the Government are not applicable to the business of the Registry.